After the success of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, some very special myeloma patients and supporters got together to create a fun campaign designed around myeloma awareness. The goal was to make more well known around the globe, bringing communities together to fight for a cure.
The #MamboforMyeloma initiative asks patients, caregivers, doctors, friends, family members, and groups to film themselves dancing and share a donation link for the cause. You don’t have to be an amazing dancer; the spirit is what is important. With #MamboforMyeloma, myeloma patients have the power to be seen and heard, initiating change and sharing their stories.
Here’s how it works:
- Have you, friends or family take videos of their dance moves in honor of myeloma research – any kind of dance move works!
- Mention that it is for Multiple Myeloma (we don’t want it confused with melanoma)
- Challenge other friends to do the same
- In your video, be sure to TELL those you challenge ….“WE CHALLENGE YOU TO MAMBO FOR MULTIPLE MYELOMA AWARENESS” AND TO SHARE YOUR VIDEO. NOW PLEASE CHALLENGE YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS, COLLEAGUES AND COMPETITORS TO DO THE SAME !!WE WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE YOU “MAMBO” FOR MYELOMA AWARENESS !!BUT, IF YOU DON’T LIKE TO DANCE or to do another activity you enjoy, PLEASE CONSIDER SHARING THE CHALLENGE WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO HELP RAISE AWARENESS OR CONSIDER DONATING TO ONE OF THE MULTIPLE MYELOMA RESEARCH FOUNDATIONS/ORGANIZATIONS….AND REMEMBER, YOU CAN ALWAYS DO BOTH.. NOW GET READY TO “MAMBO” FOR MYELOMA AWARENESS !! “
- Upload your video to You Tube and tag it as Mambo for Multiple Myeloma, then share it on the Mambo for Multiple Myeloma Facebook Page and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Donate to Mambo for Myeloma
There is no “right” dance move and interpretive dance is welcome. Do it as a group, go solo or take a dance move selfie and post. Can’t do a video? No problem! Just take a dance move photo and post it to the Mambo for Multiple Myeloma Facebook Page. Want to help spread the word? Help raise myeloma awareness by “liking” the page and sharing it.
Do your dance today and help spread awareness!
Tips for shooting Mambo Videos
- ALWAYS shoot horizontally, especially if using an iPhone or iPad
- Make sure to shoot in a well-lit (but never back lit) area—so no standing in front of windows!
- Whenever possible, put the camera on a tripod or other still surface so there is no jerking motion.
- If self-taping, the person should set up the camera and then take enough steps back that we can at least see them from the waist up in the frame (otherwise we lose a lot of the range of motion).
- All videos should be no less than 30 seconds and no more than 90 seconds.
- Make sure to modulate the sound so that the mambo music is loud enough to hear but not so loud it drowns out the person speaking.
- All videos should be tagged with “Mambo for Myeloma” at the start and/or end, preferably with a donate link to the IMF’s page, as well.
- Might be cute to have someone use a GoPro to shoot their POV while doing a Mambo video so it can be intercut with the footage OF them doing the mambo.
*If you need maracas for your video please email Kelly Cox firstname.lastname@example.org to request some and we will send it as soon as we can.